July 20, 2010

Things Found in Books

I love to find things left in books, and so I often leave things in them. I use receipts or pictures or ticket stubs for bookmarks, and then leave them to be found and remembered.

This morning at my parents' house, I took Petr Beckmann's A History of π (PI) of the shelf in my old room and started to read a little. A printed travel itinerary fell out, not for me, but for a friend. Apparently, my friend flew from Hartford to Sarasota via Atlanta on a certain day in the spring of 1998.

Perhaps I had lent him the book, and perhaps he uses the same bookmarking procedure that I do.

2 comments:

Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

It's always interesting when I find stuff in library books. It's often library receipts, so I look at the other titles that person checked out.

Recently I read a novel in which a character (a librarian) collected stuff she found left behind in library books. Neighborhood Watch by Cammie McGovern. Heavy-duty suspense novel!

Statius said...

Second hand books are my favourite for this, anything which gives a book a history prior to my ownership of it.