December 15, 2009

Signing Off on a Blessing

I had never heard of this before, but I think it's neat.

A man came to the office today with an image of the Sacred Heart to be blessed before he put it up in his home. He explained how he had brought it from Our Lady's shrine at Knock. We spoke a little about the shrine, and I told him about how I had visited by myself during the semester when I was alleged to be studying philosophy at University College Galway.

After we had prayed and blessed the image, he indicated to me that I had to sign it. I had never heard of such a thing, but there it was: in very small print at the bottom of the picture was a place for the blessing priest to sign!

It makes me think of all the religious articles I have and those priests who blessed them for me.


Cor Iesu Sacratissimum, Miserere Nobis
Cor Iesu Sacratissimum, Miserere Nobis
Cor Iesu Sacratissimum, Miserere Nobis

3 comments:

A Bit of the Blarney said...

It does indeed bring back memories. And each time I use the rosary or wear the medal I am reminded of the priest who blessed it. And then I say a short prayer for him. God Bless you!!! Cathy

Jeanne said...

What a great idea. I have so many religious articles I inherited from various relatives, but I don't know which has been blessed and which hasn't. It would be very easy to track them that way too!

Qualis Rex said...

Father Charles "allegedly"??? LOL!!! You're too much : )

Whenever I visit shrines and leave donations for prayer-cards etc, I ALWAYS have whoever is selling them (nuns usually) write the prayer out in their own handwriting and sign it. They usually sign it with a blessing, which makes the object that much more special to me (and hopefully anyone who inherrits it). You did a good thing (as usual).