December 2, 2009

Porcius Festus

The other day I was telling someone about the passage of Sacred Scripture that amuses me the most, which is the description of Paul's trial before Festus in Acts 25.

Festus, at a loss at how to investigate the case, describes the situtation:

When the accusers stood up, they brought no charge in his case of such evils as I supposed; but they had certain points of dispute with him about their own superstition and about one Jesus, who was dead, but whom Paul asserted to be alive. (Acts 25: 18-19, RSV)


I used to riff off this passage for course evaluations when I was in studies. I would write:

Professor N. had certain points of dispute with us about his own superstition, and about one Jesus, who was dead, but whom Professor N. asserted to be alive.


Then I would write, "cf. Acts 25: 18-19."

"Superstition" here is δεισιδαιμονία, which is often translated "religion" rather than "superstition." It can go either way. This passage comes up in the lectionary on the Friday of the seventh week of Easter. Listen for it!

No comments: