March 10, 2008

St. Vladimir's Seminary

One of the treasures of living here in southern Westchester county is our local orthodox seminary, St. Vladimir's.

It's become one of my favorite day off destinations. It's a great place to go for prayer and to pick up spiritual reading. The other day I bought St. Gregory the Great's Book of Pastoral Rule, published in their Popular Patristics Series. I was delighted to find something that had better sense about practical pastoral care than any contemporary book I was caused to read in my theology courses.

The chapel, pictured here, is dedicated to the "three hierarchs," Basil the Great, Gregory of Nazianzus, and John Chrysostom.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That church is proof new doesn't need to be ugly.

Anonymous said...

A wonderful place to go. I have been there many times over the years. The bookstore is good. The chapel is wonderful. I love attendng vespers there. Maybe I will see you there sometime.